Adult Conversation Causes Meltdown

Lindseyamcd
I work at a private school for children with autism. One of my clients has been having a very difficult time being in the presence of adults conversing. This client is nonverbal, is profiecient with a communication device, and has a VERY high receptive and expressive vocabulary. Very inaccurate with reading body language and emotions of others. When he overhears instructors, teachers, therapist, or parents talking in front of him he becomes very angry and engages in physically agressive behaviors- primarily hitting himself. We have been cautious to not talk about other clients treatment plans, progress, or behavior in front of all of our stucents, espcially this client. For example this morning I was telling some co-workers about eating dinner with my family last night and how great the restraunt was. From across the room, the client began hitting himself, pointing to me as his reason for becoming angry. When asked if he wanted me to stop discussing my dinner, he responded with 'yes'. Later, a teacher who will be leaving for maternity leave was explaining the classroom routine to the substitute teacher who will be taking her spot. The client again began hitting himself. There have been several signigicant staffing changes in our school which we have addressed through social stories and preperation prior to a change in environment. However, lately it has seemed as though staff can not have a conversation in front of the client at all without him breaking down. Which is impossible because our facility has an integrated therapy apporach- all therapy occurs in classroom and we have 2 assistants and 1 teacher in each classroom. Just wanted to know if anyone has battled this before? Do you have social stories that would address this? I have experience with a pleathora of causes for behavioral meltdowns, but this is somthing I have not seen before.