How do you use the common core?

Tess
How are others using the common core?  Are you trying to correlate goals with CC?  Just curious.  Thanks.

Re: How do you use the common core?

Sublime Speech
Hi Tess - This year I have begun using core standards as a starting point for therapy goals.  There are a few excellent resources that I've found to be helpful.  ASHA Leader put out a great article about "Integrating the Core" in August that has tons of great SLP insight and resources.

When I write my goals now, I state which CCSS it supports underneath the goal.  The way I right goals has not necessarily changed but I am showing that the student is working on CCSS goals.  This also helps the teachers when addressing that CCSS in class to know that the student is receiving specific language/speech services that correlate to that standard.

I also purchased Speech Peeps' (Nicole Allison) resource for goal-writing "K-5 Common Core Standards Supporting IEP Goals for English Language Arts" to help identify which CCSS areas I'm targeting for a kiddo.  I have found that this makes IEP writing a little easier.

I don't see CCSS necessarily changing WHAT we do but maybe HOW we document it.  Simply stating what standards you are supporting justifies your services.

I think what will be interesting is to see if any of our assessments become more CCSS geared!
~Danielle
Sublime Speech
http://sublimespeech.blogspot.com/