Working with Toddler- Suggestions Wanted

Working with Toddler- Suggestions Wanted

ktslp
I am looking for some advice-- I'm currently working with a 2.3 year old boy who has only a couple of words and does not imitate words. Receptively and pragmatically, he does not follow simple directives, but will attend to highly preferred activities such as bubbles or a simple peek-a-boo game, sharing in social smiles and anticipating clinician's actions. He has clapped following models but does not imitate many other non-verbal actions. He babbles a lot of jargon, and is VERY active. He occasionally demonstrates stimulatory behaviors and decreased relatedness, but he can be redirected to attend to the clinician in preferred contexts. I thought I could try a structured learning system but he is SO busy and has fleeting attention to most activities. His mother is very anxious to have him "caught up," and I've tried to explain that this may be a process, does not happen overnight, and I'd like to work on pragmatic and receptive language skills before we can start hearing words. I'd just like to know if anyone has suggestions about what to do with this little boy- any activities or treatment strategies would be appreciated because I'm at a loss how to sustain his attention!