adding more hours... and more and more and more

adding more hours... and more and more and more

S.K.
How do you deal with parents who continually ask for more time on the IEP?  I have most of my caseload coming 1-2 times a week for 25-30 minutes.  I have parents asking for more minutes, more weekly sessions AND individual therapy vs. small group.  I am in a public school, and have a caseload that is usually 10 higher than state maximum.
Cee

Re: adding more hours... and more and more and more

Cee
I don't know how others handle this but I just keep reminding parents that as much exposure to regular classroom curriculum is important and by minimal pull out you are giving the child the best of both worlds.  Some parents buy in and some don't.  I can say that I get this all the time.  Guess it comes with the territory.

Re: adding more hours... and more and more and more

SpeechRoomNews
Administrator
Hi SK,

I have that issue a lot too. I always point to data. If they are making progress on the goals the IEP team agreed upon, then the minutes are sufficient to meet that goal. Then I offer to give parents extra homework.

I know that doesn't always work, but that's my immediate 'line' when it comes up in IEP meetings.

Goodluck! I'll be interested to see what everyone else thinks!

Jenna

Re: adding more hours... and more and more and more

I had this come up once and my supervisor said to tell them that you think whatever amount of time you put on the IEP is sufficient for them to meet the goals the IEP team has agreed upon.  I might add that if student is not making adequate progress at the end of each quarter, the IEP can be amended to increase minutes.
Liz

Re: adding more hours... and more and more and more

Liz
I also remind parents that speech isn't the only thing that we do at school.  I say that "we are working to find a balance between time spend inside the classroom and outside the classroom."

Many of my parents who ask for more are for the students who also have OT, DAPE and other special education and really do spend a significant amount of time outside the classroom.

I provide information about local clinics if the families are interested, but reinforce the idea that speech is just part of what is going on at school.

Re: adding more hours... and more and more and more

Jenn
I think it is also important to keep in mind that we are providing educationally relevant therapy, which is very different from the private sector.  Decisions must be data driven and impact the student educationally...I actually had to do a notice of refusal to a parent who was demanding more time in speech.  I had the data to show that the child was making adequate progress with her current level of services (90mpw) and an increase was not warranted.  I think sometimes we want to appease people and be nice, so it makes it harder to exercise our professional judgment.

Re: adding more hours... and more and more and more

Jennah Ross
Does your district use the CSS (Communication Severity Scales)?  We use it in our district and i find that it is always a helpful matrix to determine minutes based on the educational impact.

Re: adding more hours... and more and more and more

slpSally
I also in a tactful and diplomatic manner, point out that I am NOT the best teacher for their child.  They are.  No amount of time spent with me in my little, isolated room is going to improve skills in the big world WITHOUT parental and teacher support and expectations that are appropriate and consistent.  I have a /s/ student whose parents would like more time, but when we see each other outside of meetings, I am the one that sweetly asks for a repetition of what was said because it sounded very unusual to me and I got distracted from the message.  The parents know what I am doing.  IF a parent is pushing more excessively more time, I request first that we try a concentrated, formal and consistent homework plan and/or classroom cuing for specific skills for a measured amount of time.  Honestly, no one ever takes me up on this---
I think that we SLP's are seen as having fairy dust in our bag of tricks that will "fix" the little lovies...(for which I am glad as I have treasured the time I get to spend learning about and with my students.)

Re: adding more hours... and more and more and more

Kate
Remind parents that the schools are obligated to provide the LRE(least restrictive environment), the child is making progress, they may not see the progress at home because it is not "carrying-over". The only way carry-over can occur is if they complete homework at home, have the teacher chime in as to whether they feel that the student has improved during the course of the year as well.